It is not a surprising fact that majority of the online income generation mechanisms are revolving around search engines and search users. And when it comes to Google‘s services, I doubt if anybody can live without them at all – be it the search engine itself, Search Engine Marketing, Google AdSense or various businesses around SEO, Page ranks, what have you.
If the current trends are any indication, it’s predicted that by 2013, the Search Engine Marketing (SEM) spending will hit $26 billion in North America by growing steadily from the 2008 figures of $13.5 billion. This is a good news for online entrepreneurs as they can build their businesses around companies like Google at least for the next five years.
More interesting facts about Internet, Google and Search
- An average American browses 115 domains per month
- Google continues to enjoy 72% of the search engine marketshare
- In a month, more than 140 million users utilize at least one Google service or site
- Even though we are in recession, the only thing that shows tremendous progress is internet search – high growth search terms being related to ‘coupons’, ‘unemployment’, ‘bankruptcy’ etc
- There are about 13 billion core searches per month made by all internet users
All these points suggest that, it is bright green once we get to the other side of recession. However, there are bad trends as well – some of them being short term issues (such as lower ad spending). Yet another climbing issue is the click fraud rate which is at all time high right now according to a ClickForensics report.
Overall, there’s enough business and money awaiting those who have long term plans. And one can safely build a business around Google and its echo system, for at least next five years!
References: Marketing Charts