Selling ad spots is the most traditional form of advertisement and money making option for those who own a website. It feels like, the web banners – especially the 468×60 banner – existed for age now.
When it comes to ad sales on a blog, one can either (1) opt for a complete on-premise option such as OIOPublisher ad manager which automates the whole thing or (2) outsource the headache to something like BuySellAds.com and mint money. In this post I shall review the awesome BuySellAds product.
I have been with private ad sales for more than 1.5 years now and the OIOPublisher ad management software did a wonderful job for me until recently. However, when my marketing efforts reduced due to lack of time, it was getting more and more difficult to get good advertisers at the right price. That’s when I decided to try out BuySellAds and I must tell you that I managed to fill five slots out of seven in a matter of 10 days.
BuySellAds.com is a very simple and straight-forward blog ad network where bloggers sell their ad spots and advertisers purchase the same. The BuySellAds currently features close to 2000 publishers (bloggers) and more than 1000 advertisers. Hence there’s enough opportunity for you as a blogger to make money blogging.
BuySellAds plus points
In my experience, the following are some of the major advantages of BuySellAds.
- It gives you tremendous visibility for your blog where as if you sell on your own, you need to do your marketing as well
- 25% cut kept by them is one of the best especially when you compare with BuySellAds competitors such as PerformancingAds, for example
- PayPal payout option, and that too twice per month (two cashout requests per month). Though, there’s a minimum payout restriction of $50, they aren’t very adamant on that rule. It’s really small publisher friendly
- Multiple banner sizes and flexible content options (image, text or mix of both)
- Instant approval and listing, unless you have some rated content on your blog
- Open listing and hence you can find out what your competitors are charging to arrive at the optimum pricing
Though, this is by far the best blog ad network, I also faced certain issues which are improvement topics for the BuySellAds team.
The following are the issues I noticed.
- Though designing of an ad zone is easy, it is not very easy to change the styles. There’s no visual editor and hence you have to type in CSS if you want to change the default looks of ‘Advertise here’ zones
- When you have some open slots, they don’t align with the filled ad slots in the IE browser. Check out this blog on IE
- There is no option to show your own ads in case there are open slots. This is bad, because if two slots are free, you may not want to show ‘Advertise here’ twice. There’s an option to restrict it to one, but then it disturbs the styling
- If an advertiser purchases an ad and later he changes the target URL you get notified to approve the same, which is good. But if he redirects it to elsewhere, the publisher cannot prevent it. The publsher cannot even cancel the ads without taking out the entire zone. This has happened to me, check out one of the banners on the sidebar – it redirects to nowhere since last few days
How to make more money with BuySellAds?
The following are some tips for you as a BuySellAds publisher, of course, based on my short stint with them.
– Start with a smaller bid price for your ad slots as compared to your competitors with similar number of page views.
– Start with fewer slots such as 2 of 125×125 slots so that there are not too many empty slots. Keep adding more, as and when it gets filled
– Give it some time (2-3 weeks) for advertisers to notice you. The advertisers filter the listings by page views and keywords and hence, you need to wait till the page views are approximately calculated
– Use proper sales description for your listing (e.g. top right, above the fold etc)
– Keep your stats manually updated using the Update status button.
– Stick to most popular ad sizes
– Use as many keywords and tags as possible in your listing
In my experience so far with private and blog ad sales, there’s not really a better BuySellAds alternative for mid-size and small publishers. Even when you grow big time as a blogger and in terms of traffic to your blog, you may still use BuySellAds. You can see ad spot listing price as high as $2000 per slot there. Once you are confident of selling on your own, you may discontinue with BuySellAds to save that 25% cut but I would not do that soon.
Happy Money Making!