Recently, I had written a post on blog post frequency and its impact on traffic and blog ranks. In principle, more posts would mean more traffic (and certain other benefits as well) but there are also related issues if you post too frequently or more precisely several times a day.
In this short bullet list post, let me try to summarize the pros and cons of posting several times a day.
Advantages & positive facts about multiple posts posts/day
- Fresh content all the time: Every time the visitors hit your blog, there’s fresh content available and that is a major credibility factor. This can also help reduce bounce rate
- Faster search indexing: Better the frequency, faster the indexing. Google loves to see updated content every time it crawls your site. Ultimately it can improve the search ranks and hence more traffic
- Suitable for multi-blogger & corporate blogs: It is a model that works well with multi-blogger blogs and mostly corporate blogs
- Good for news driven content: Posting several times a day works at its best when the blogs are about news driven content (e.g. TechCrunch)
- Increased readership & subscription: Updated and fresh content would increase RSS or newsletter subscription dramatically. People hate to subscribe to blogs that are updated less frequently
Bad consequences of multiple posts per day
These are purely my views and no blogoholic or popular blogger may need to feel bad about it:
- Quality of content: Posting multiple times a day – even if you are a full time professional blogger – is going affect the quality of content. Mostly, you will be forced to write about stale topics that people have read elsewhere or it will be all about news driven content (exception: this assumption is not valid when it is a multi-blogger blog)
- RSS readers skip: Readers (especially RSS readers) might skip through your posts faster without reading the content properly
- Low comments per visit ratio: Most people leave the blog without commenting
- Reduced interaction levels: Blogger and reader engagement will be low for this kind of blogs
- No unique content to offer: Most of these blogs will have have mixed content
- Low productivity, imagination and bad time management: If a single blogger posts several times a day, it is going to severely affect other aspects in life and in general productivity and creativity comes down drastically
What do you think? If you do not have a multi-blogger blog, do you still consider posting several times a day consistently?