In the last post I did a comparative study on WordPress.com and Blogger.com (blogspot) free blogging platforms. Many experienced readers and bloggers shared their thoughts there in and felt that it is always better to go for a self-hosted professional blog keeping your long term blogging plans (or even career) in mind.
And there is no better time than right now to register your domain(s) – as a first step towards building a professional blog – because GoDaddy is offering 99 cents domain names! by using the coupon code ‘99DOMAIN‘. I first read it on SlyVisions today and I thank Sly for sharing this information.
How to Go About It?
The following would be the steps involved, if I were to set up a new self hosted professional blog.
- Finalize the niche or area (e.g. Food, Equity Markets, Fashion) that you want to focus on or write about in your new blog
- Check for the availability of any good expired domain names using this link
- If you get any good expired domain names, do a background check of the same using archive.org (wayback machine)
- Register the domain – expired or new domain, if you couldn’t find any expired ones
- Find a hosting provider to host your domain and blog contents, I had written a paid review on ‘Web Hosting Geeks’ which is a good place to compare web hosting services. If you do not want to spend money on hosting for the time being, use one of those FREE web hosting services such as Free Hostia which supports PHP, WordPress, POP mails etc. As for this blog, I use HostGator as my hosting service and I am extremely happy with them!
- Further, please read my article series on how to setup a professional blog that explains the step by step approach to create, optimize, promote and monetize your blog
- As for the WordPress blog themes, there are a number of sites where you can find excellent free themes, but I found this mother-of-all themes download post at TechZoomIn yesterday and it talks about 1500 plus theme downloads
What does it take?
In fact, setting up a professional self hosted blog can keep you busy only for a few days. But establishing a blog can take weeks or even months together and you really need to put in a lot of effort. But, if blogging is your passion and with additional motivation that comes with the money making prospects, it can really keep you going. And believe me, it is exciting to watch your baby blog grow!
Move WordPress to new Host in easy steps