Submitting your site to some of the highly ranked directories is one of the easiest ways to get your site search engine optimized. Paid directory services like Yahoo Directory will definitely give you better search ranking as well as huge inbound traffic. However there are a number of free and popular (for search engines, at least) directories that gives you very good overall visibility as well.
The following are some of the top directories and social book marking sites where your blog or website must have presence:
1. DMOZ.Org: The Open Directory Project is the first and foremost one that nobody should miss. Though, an application to list here does not always guarantee listing, you should keep trying. 1000s of search engines rely on DMOZ entries and index them on a regular basis
2. Technorati: Experienced bloggers please excuse. For beginners, please note that the technorati ranking and the inbound links that it will create will definitely a boon to your blog. If you want to monetize your blog, many advertisers and review sites go by the technorati rating.
3. LII: Librarians’ Internet Index is a directory that hosts good quality blogs and websites. After the submission, the approval may take some time unless the webmaster or site owner is a high profile government servant, diplomat etc (Others might take a while but it’s worth the wait)
4. Jayde Business Directory: Another popular directory and related services. You might want to sign up with your alternate email ID as sometimes you end up receiving a lot of promotion mails.
5. Golber: An entry in the golber directory will definitely give you some hits
The next two are relatively less known sites but will guarantee you hundreds of back links – probably their URL structure is such that even a single reference to your website is shown 50 or more times somehow.
6. ncomn: ncomn profile and related tags will create hundreds of useful inbound links for you in no time. Sign up process is fast.
7. SpicyPage: Spicy page profile is another thing that you should not miss. There will be quality inbound links as well as traffic in short term
The last three are the most common and well known social book marking sites. I am mentioning them for the sake of completeness.
8. StumbleUpon: Stumble is my personal favorite and third or fourth biggest traffic source.
9. Digg: Digg has not quite worked well for me but seems to be a hit with most others
10. Yahoo! Buzz – The subscription seem to be closed for the beta program for now but will open soon. Yahoo! Buzz definitely will be the single largest social book marking site for the years to come
There is a number of other book marking services such as Furl, Reddit, Del.icio.us etc that I am not touching up on right now. What I have listed above are some of those that personally worked well for me.
Best wishes for your directory listing approvals…